Welcome
Welcome to wifilapper

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Web UI Suggestions/tasklist

Web UI Suggestions/tasklist

Postby jawillis » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:18 pm

I'm lacking direction on how to best proceed with the PitSide web interface... any suggestions regarding layout, features, etc. would be very welcome. My personal vision is of a smartphone/tablet-friendly interface that can be used during the race to analyze the car/driver's performance. So.. what data needs to be available? How would you like to configure what/how data is shown? Does the lap selection form NEED to take up valuable screen real-estate?
Chime in!

-Jason

I'll keep this list fairly updated as new ideas come in and things get completed:
TO-DO list
- Save user settings locally
- Add more options to the settings dialog; graph colors, line widths, dot sizes, etc..
- Resizeable panels
- Auto-download selected data channels
- "Download WFLP file" - maybe we could even save it to their wifilapper folder, then they could use it as their DB in wifilapper.*
- Send message to car*
- A column next next to the Lap selection form showing Lap Delta to the last 5, 10, n laps (selectable)
X Either add support for IE or gracefully fail in IE - DONE

It-would-be-nice list
-Predictive car positions would be cool.
-A 3d representation comparing two laps from the perspective of one of the cars would be cool
-Google maps integration so that the lines got overlaid on a google map would be cool

* = requires PitsideConsole.exe implementation.
Last edited by jawillis on Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
jawillis

Re: Web UI Suggestions/tasklist

Postby WifiLapperDev » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:47 pm

You could maybe use two combo boxes instead of the list to represent the lap list, to save a bit of space. People probably aren't going to be comparing more than two laps at once.

We'll need at least one combo box for channel to show (temperatures or lateral Gs instead of velocity, for example)

Not required, but cool and easily-doable features:
-"Download WFLP file" - maybe we could even save it to their wifilapper folder, then they could use it as their DB in wifilapper. I'd just have to add a "getdb" call to the web API. Actually, my meagre html skills could probably do the whole download feature.
-Send message to car (I could just set up a senddata?msg='1234' thing)

Dream features:
-Predictive car positions would be cool.
-A 3d representation comparing two laps from the perspective of one of the cars would be cool
-Google maps integration so that the lines got overlaid on a google map would be cool

That's about all I can think of. But I'm bad at dreaming of crazy features.
WifiLapperDev
Site Admin

Postby EnduroRacer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:20 am

This is about as close to perfect as a Data Analysis UI comes:

GEMS Data Analysis:
http://i.imgur.com/krbYH.png

*edit: simplified UI screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/RCvXZ.png

If you can implement half of those feature and make it look half as good, it will be a great start.

The Layout and Color Theme in GEMS is brilliant. Everything stands out, without it looking cluttered.

You can download it here and play with it:
http://www.gems.co.uk/assets/Media/down ... sSetup.exe

More screenshots:

Lap Report:
http://www.gems.co.uk/assets/Image/Prod ... report.png

Channel Report:
http://www.gems.co.uk/assets/Image/Prod ... report.png
Last edited by EnduroRacer on Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
EnduroRacer

Postby EnduroRacer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:24 am

WifiLapperDev wrote:People probably aren't going to be comparing more than two laps at once.

I regularly want to compare more than 2 laps. In Enduro racing what I am looking for is consistency. If I overlay 5 successive laps, any anomaly stands out like a sore thumb.

A column next next to the Lap selection form showing Lap Delta to the last 5, 10, n laps (selectable) would be awesome.
Last edited by EnduroRacer on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
EnduroRacer

Postby jawillis » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:06 am

Awesome responses guys.. Those GEMS screenshots look amazing. I doubt I can get all of that stuff in there, but that's a great benchmark to shoot for!

I'll keep you posted with updates, and keep them coming as you think of 'em.

-Jason
jawillis

Postby jawillis » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:26 am

WifiLapperDev wrote:-"Download WFLP file" - maybe we could even save it to their wifilapper folder, then they could use it as their DB in wifilapper. I'd just have to add a "getdb" call to the web API. Actually, my meagre html skills could probably do the whole download feature.

This should be super-easy on the html side - all we need is a getdb?race=id to return a file instead of a text file. The hard part is on your side if you want to trim the db.

-Jason
jawillis

Postby EnduroRacer » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:20 pm

Got anything new to show?
EnduroRacer

Postby WifiLapperDev » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:37 pm

I don't know if jawillis wants me to re-post the link, but I got a sneak peak of the in-progress version last night, and it is looking pretty swell. Bigger, prettier, faster, more useful.
WifiLapperDev
Site Admin

Postby jawillis » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:55 am

I'll have something to show pretty soon. Adding data channels with varying frequencies caused me to have to rethink some of the graphing functions.
I'm sorry to say that I'm not an original thinker when designing a UI.. I'm pretty much copying those GEMS screenshots straight up.

-Jason
jawillis

Postby EnduroRacer » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:19 am

jawillis wrote:I'm pretty much copying those GEMS screenshots straight up.

No complaints there. Can't wait to see it.
EnduroRacer

Next

Return to Feature Requests/Development