It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to SpeedFreq

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Track Day video with IOIO sensors
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:51 am 

Figured that I would toss up a video showing WFL working (mostly) well with an IOIO board and 8 sensors.

I just added a Throttle Position sensor to my 1987 Posrche 924S, by buying a Chevy Silverado TPS at O'Reilly's for $35, using the 5V custom power supply for my IOIO as the power source, and reading the voltage off the wiper in the sensor. I now have the following channels:

Oil Pressure
Oil Temperature
Coolant Temperature
Alternator Voltage
Fuel Level
Brake Position (On/Off)
Throttle Position (Variable)
Engine RPM

Here is the video with overlay using RaceRender:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYJJJxGrpBA

We are doing a 7x7 ChumpCar race in early June, so this was our final test for things. Seems to be working great!

Last edited by 951Turbo on Mon May 04, 2015 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Track Day video with IOIO sensors
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:44 am 

Nice!! Thanks for sharing!

I really like the idea of putting a second rear-view mirror on the windshield to give an automatic rear view!! Saves a bunch of work!

Where is the phone mounted?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:59 am 

The phone is mounted right in behind the steering wheel on the dash - the primary display for the driver, other than the shift light you see on the dash.

No speedometer in the car at all, so WFL took its place...

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:41 pm 

So I was starting to have some problems with the sensors on the IOIO board dropping out, and my shift light intermittently dropping as well.

We had been using "vampire tap" type connections for the various IOIO functions, and I suspected that these were starting to loosen up and were causing the issues.

This winter I took the time to properly solder the sensor wires into the car's wiring harness, along with shrink wrap and some plastic coil winding to hold the wire bundles together.

Had a couple of track weekends to test things out and..... Success!

Here is a video of my last race, with the SF overlay. Turn volume WAAAAAY down or off completely, as this was with the internal mic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwKtV-GNBSA

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]