It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to SpeedFreq

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: WifiLapper's future
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

Hey guys, I posted this as a reply elsewhere, but I figure it should have its own thread.

Y'all may have noticed my update rate has gone down over the last couple months (aside from fixing IOIO bugs that 951turbo discovered). I've moved my spare-time coding onto a new project that I'm doing with another triathlete.

What does this mean for WifiLapper?
-Less (probably zero, unless they're really easy) new features from me
-Serious bugfixes (phone crashes, database corruptions) will be fixed pretty speedily
-Serious bugs in barely-tested code (like all 951Turbo's IOIO issues) will be fixed pretty speedily. If WifiLapper is attempting to do something and reliably sucking hard at it, I'll try to get that fixed up.
-If you want to know how to accomplish something in the existing codebase, you can email me or message me on the forums and I'll get back to you pretty quick.
-If someone submits a pull request to me on github, I'll happily test it and pull it in.

I'm not abandoning the project - I still check the forums daily, and if the new biking project ends up at a dead end or starts boring me, maybe I'll start working on WifiLapper again pretty heavily. But the odds aren't high for that, as I feel its a fairly mature product at this point - there's lots of feature requests I know, but there will always be lots of feature requests. If I were to accomplish everything in the feature request forum, I'm certain that there'd just be a new set of feature-creep to chase after. I think jawillis is still working on the WebUI revamp, and the userbase is still growing gradually on the android market, so maybe another C++/java guy will come along in the future.

Also, I lost my android phone, so it's harder to test now :)

Post subject: Re: WifiLapper's future
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:14 am 

Looks like I need to grab some c++ books and start learning to do my own code. Guess that is the reason this project is open source, anyone can morph it into what ever they want.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

In case anyone is interested...

The new project is coming along nicely. We've partnered with a major bike-equipment manufacturer to help market it. The game is honestly really fun to play, and is the highlight of any night that I have the time to actually play it (20-30 hour weeks on top of my real 40h/week job are pretty normal). Next week I'm going to vegas for Interbike, the biggest bike convention of the year.

Total direct sales thus far: $120 (dolla dolla bills y'all!). But we only turned on subscriptions in June, and indoor cycling season is only now just starting.
"Employees": 2 (me and the other guy. In quotes because there is no profit)
Hours spent: 1080 by me, 800 by the other guy (since we started tracking)

If we count the amazon coupons I've earned from Amazon affiliates, then WifiLapper is still the more-profitable endeavour (I've made about $200). But the bike project is catching up in a hurry.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:57 pm 

Well it's good to know that you are making at least something from WFL, if only enough to help pay for the online hosting.

Good luck with your virtual biking project! And now you can write off your Vegas trip as "Expenses" :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:02 pm 

951Turbo wrote:
And now you can write off your Vegas trip as "Expenses" :)

Only if he bikes there!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

Apparently I may be doing some biking while there. If we haven't roped in enough local cyclists to be models, then it'll be me personally showing it off.

Vegas trip is certainly a company expense, though, which is nice. The booze and gambling losses will be harder to write off though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

As a little update, TdG is doing well (thousands of dollars in revenue last winter, and it looks like we're going to grow a bit going forwards). I do miss the "old days" writing wifilapper. Life was so much simpler then... code, race, sleep.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:54 pm 

WHOA! I just stumbled-in the last few days lurked, downloaded a sample, and now registered. :shock:
There is no, "Intro" thread per se, so have taken that spin here.

Wish I had WIFI-Lapper 2 weeks ago before I spent 2 days at Sebring with Skip Barber! Was just what I wanted for debriefing, and could have beamed the data trackside. Also has a great fit to my non-OBDII Corvette Super Unlimited I'm building. I'll maybe use an inductive clamp-on for tach to the IOIO, do some load cells for aero/downforce, braking pressure @ the pedal, etc.

For other features I'd also like to see a means to just use wifilapper for data collection only. Maybe as a subset - when there is only one Lap, like autocross. Maybe this will be something I can figure out - still playing with the app. So anyway - thanks for the work you've put in so far -- hope more follows!

Cheers - Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:39 pm 

Welcome to the forum, Jim!

You can already do the AutoX single lap thing with WFL now. Just pick the Point to Point option and set how to pick start/stop information in the Options tab.

Lots to find in the IOIO section of the forum on how to wire things up....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:43 am 

Welcome, Jim.

Regarding AutoX--I think I'll removed or disabled all the point-to-point features during my big cleanup of Wifilapper, as I built SpeedFreq. It was a fair bit of baggage to carry forward into the new features, and I didn't think it was worth the effort. If there was a big need for it, I could look at bringing it back. Or you could download WifiLapper and see if that works for your needs.

Regarding single-lap data--I think you might get what you want by using the "resume race" feature. To use that, go the Races screen, and long-click a race, then select Resume Race. I think that will do what you want, but I haven't played around with it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]