Welcome
Welcome to wifilapper

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Pitside: "Live" Driver Tracker

good idea/medium idea/not worth it idea

good idea
67%
medium idea
33%
not worth it idea
No votes

Total votes : 3

Pitside: "Live" Driver Tracker

Postby EnduroRacer » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:32 am

A Driver Tracker feature that predicts where on the track the driver currently should be based on last (X) laptimes within (X)% of each other.

This feature is implemented in the unofficial F1 Timing site here:

f1timing.povarnitsyn.ru

Since the F1 timing data used in this site is only sector times, it interpolates the current track position from past data. It then will update when new data comes in, so you occasionally see the marker jump forward or backward a bit.

The main use of this would be for a Crew Chief to be able to tell generally where a car should be on the track.

It is also feasible to link 2 or more Pitside Servers (or use the same server for multiple cars) to display a live Driver Tracker for multiple cars.

Using only hot laps within a certain percentage of each other for predictions will reduce the errors a pitstop or slow laps will cause.

FYI, the F1 site above uses code from this Windows .NET app:

http://code.google.com/p/ak-f1-timing/

and this Library:

http://code.google.com/p/f1livetiming/
Last edited by EnduroRacer on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
EnduroRacer

Re: Pitside: "Live" Driver Tracker

Postby jawillis » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:08 am

That page is pretty badass. I was just watching the dots go around the track on one of the recorded races... there were quite a few inexplicable jumps, though.
However, that is indeed a neat idea that could really separate wifiLapper from the pack (even more).
jawillis

Postby EnduroRacer » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:15 pm

It is the only way to watch F1.

You can select multiple drivers on the Timing and see the Interval graph grow and shrink visually which is all I really watch. It would be cool to implement that later in the multi-car Pitside along with the driver tracker.
EnduroRacer

Postby sbarton » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:36 pm

I really think this feature would be useful. I can't count how many times I've tried to figure out where on the track our car is. This would be great.

Plus it would be something interesting to watch while waiting for the next lap of data.

-Scott
sbarton

Postby WifiLapperDev » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:31 pm

This would be really cool, and possibly not that hard to do. Would be hard to test though, since you'd kinda need a real race to test it.
WifiLapperDev
Site Admin

Postby EnduroRacer » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:39 pm

Any way we can "replay" the data we have already recorded from Phone to Pitside to simulate real world conditions? Maybe simulate tracks conditions by only transmitting data from the Phone once per lap.
EnduroRacer

Postby sbarton » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:28 pm

This feature in the Web Interface would kick ass. Your friends could watch you virtually.

-Scott
sbarton

Postby sbarton » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:42 pm

WifiLapperDev wrote:This would be really cool, and possibly not that hard to do. Would be hard to test though, since you'd kinda need a real race to test it.

Any update? It's Spring and I got Track Fever! :)

-Scott
sbarton

Postby 951Turbo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:56 pm

The problem here is that Art has abandoned future development of WFL. He is supporting bug fixes and helping out others (like me) who are trying to develop.

You can only expect minor tweaks/improvements to WFL, at least until a real Android/C++ programmer joins the project again.

Regarding this actual request, I think that we could do something like add a timer that counts from zero after a lap is received.
951Turbo

Postby WifiLapperDev » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:37 am

Honestly, you guys should be focusing on the phone app - android development is way easier than win32 development. You've dove in at the hardest bit of the whole wifilapper package.

Here's how you'd do it:
-Define a structure that can contain the data you want. I'd recommend something like:
struct LIVEDATA
{
unsigned short dataChannelId[8]; // the IDs of the data channels. The nth item in these arrays will describe data channel dataChannelId[n] with value dataChannelData[n]
unsigned int dataChannelData[8]; // the actual data. This could be integers or floats, you'd just have to make sure you're consistent. Note that the data coming from android will be in network byte order and will need to be flipped
unsigned int checksum; // make sure it didn't get mangled
};
-On the android app, have a thread that loops, grabs the latest relevant data (how you'd define relevant data: nasty UI decisions or fun algorithmic decisions, or just hardcode it), packs it into a bytearrayoutputstream, then sends that off down a DatagramSocket. You can see how DatagramSockets are created and sent in MessageMan.java.
-On the pitside side, have a thread that constantly listens on a UDP (aka Datagram) socket for incoming LIVEDATA structures. Check their checksum for validity, then display them (somehow).
--For this, I'd recommend something similar to the existing new-lap system: copy the received LIVEDATA structure to some global structure (using a critical section for threadsafety), then post a message to the main UI to force it to repaint itself.
WifiLapperDev
Site Admin

Next

Return to Feature Requests/Development