Welcome
Welcome to wifilapper

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Phone: Relative instead of absolute speedometer

Phone: Relative instead of absolute speedometer

Postby WifiLapperDev » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:28 pm

jawillis and I were discussing this, and he had a good point: An overzealous driver might lose a second early in a lap, then drive the rest of the lap on the edge trying to get that second back, watching the lap delta the whole time. A safer lap-delta display might be to only display what you've gained or lost in the last 5 seconds compared to the best lap. This way, you should be able to check after each corner whether you gained or lost time on that corner or sequence of corners, rather than having to do the math in your head: "I was +0.8 before the corner, and +0.3 after, so I must have improved!".

This speedometer would help the driver drive corner-by-corner and realize that the second they lost is truly gone, rather than trying to make that second up later in the lap.
WifiLapperDev
Site Admin

Re: Phone: Relative instead of absolute speedometer

Postby EnduroRacer » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:15 pm

Great psychological insight. Has anyone done anything like this?

It would probably work best by dividing the track up into segments (3-10?), resetting the delta after a driver completes a segment. If designed this way it really is just another implementation of your existing full-lap delta code.
EnduroRacer

Re: Phone: Relative instead of absolute speedometer

Postby sbarton » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:32 am

Nice! I think the point is that it is speed based, not time based. So you don't need to split the track up into segmants.

-Scott
sbarton

Return to Feature Requests/Development