Welcome
Welcome to wifilapper

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

App: Shift lights on Dash (Maybe Pitside option)

good idea/medium idea/not worth it idea

good idea
50%
medium idea
50%
not worth it idea
No votes

Total votes : 2

App: Shift lights on Dash (Maybe Pitside option)

Postby EnduroRacer » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:10 pm

1. Programmable shift lights option on top of Dash.

2. Having separate Redlines for each gear would be cool. e.g. shift lights flash on at 7200 in 1st, 7000 in 2nd, 6800 3rd, etc. to enable easy upshifting into the torque curve for the next gear.

3. Optionally have a "don't upshift" indicator if the upshift will put you too far out of your powerband.

4. One more pie-in-the-sky option would be to enable Pitside to change shift points mid-race to conserve fuel, or get the driver to shift differently based on their reaction time.

e.g. If the lights are set to go on at 7200 (for a target shift point of 7400) and he doesn't end up shifting until 7700, having them come on at 7000 probably will make the driver shift earlier. This of course is supposing the driver is looking at the dash instead of just hitting the rev-limiter every time. (They like to do that.)

5. Enable a Shift Sound to be played out of the headphone jack or Bluetooth. They do this in F1. A beep will go off just before the redline, timed so the driver will shift just before hitting the rev-limiter.
EnduroRacer

Re: App: Shift lights on Dash (Maybe Pitside option)

Postby jawillis » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:12 am

Even better: an simple scripting API within the app itself so users can define outputs of the IOIO pins based incoming data.
An example (which could be extended even further to include 2, 3 and 4):
if (RPM > 7200) {
pinx = 1;
playsound("boing.wav");
} else {
pinx = 0;
}

This way a new build wouldn't be required for every new application of the IOIO interface.
How much CPU do we have to spare on a typical phone running wifiLapper?

-Jason
jawillis

Postby WifiLapperDev » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:47 am

Given that it runs on a hurting Droid 1, I'm assuming there's quite a bit of extra CPU on an average more-modern phone, though I've never bothered checking for sure.
WifiLapperDev
Site Admin

Postby EnduroRacer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:38 pm

So are the shift lights something you guys would like to see?

A row of "lights" isn't really even need. We could just flash the screen with a red/white background and text saying "SHIFT."
EnduroRacer

Postby WifiLapperDev » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:03 pm

At first I was going to say this would be a niche feature that only IOIO/OBD2 users would get to use, but I guess it's not that hard to input transmission ratios and tire sizes, and just figure stuff out from GPS velocities. At any given point on the racetrack you'll have an estimated RPM for each gear, and whenever any of them cross their set shift point you could do the beep. An unpleasant side effect would be that when cruising around at 3000rpm in a FCY you might get erroneous beeps as the gears below your current gear cross their shift points. Fix for that: only enable the feature when the car is going within 95% of the best lap's speed.

So you might have a car going at 120km/h, and the user has previously said they want to shift at 6000rpm. The app would compute:
1st gear: 20000rpm
2nd gear: 15000rpm
3rd gear: 9000rpm
4th gear: 6000rpm (if this just crossed a shift point, do a beep/flash/etc)
5th gear: 4000rpm
WifiLapperDev
Site Admin

Postby EnduroRacer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:22 pm

I hadn't even thought about doing it without an RPM signal. That would be pretty cool. I wouldn't really use it because I already have an OBDII adapter, but I've yet to see a Data Acq system that does "Virtual RPM." Intriguing.

Honestly though, if a user is not willing to spend $13 on a cheap Bluetooth OBDII they don't really want shift lights anyway.

I think your programming talents are best used elsewhere, at least for now.
EnduroRacer

Return to Feature Requests/Development