Welcome
Welcome to wifilapper

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

App: Phone beep on incoming message

Beep for message

Yes
67%
No
No votes
Don't Care
33%

Total votes : 3

App: Phone beep on incoming message

Postby sbarton » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Can you have the phone beep (default to 'DROID', volume high) when sending a PitSide to Phone message?

-Scott
Last edited by sbarton on Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
sbarton

Re: App: Phone beep on incoming message

Postby EnduroRacer » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:40 am

I'd be interested to see the results poll for this. Can you add one?
EnduroRacer

Postby sbarton » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:13 pm

Added a poll.
sbarton

Postby WifiLapperDev » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:19 pm

It's a niche feature (not that many people will have headphones to hear the phone beep), but it'd be really easy to add and doesn't require any user-interface changes.
WifiLapperDev
Site Admin

Postby sbarton » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:24 pm

I know it will be loud in the racecar, but I'm hoping that the beep will be loud enough for them to hear something, and start looking at their instruments to see what is making the noise. You can't really expect the driver to stare at the phone screen all the time, so they may miss the text. I plan on mounting my inmy center console above my TPMS. It's within reach, but not in my immediate field of view when I'm concentrating on passing those cars in front of me. ;)

Also when you do the OBD/IOIO alerts, you should also add a beep.

-Scott
sbarton

Postby EnduroRacer » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:51 pm

sbarton wrote:above my TPMS

What system do you use?
EnduroRacer

Postby WifiLapperDev » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:59 pm

sbarton wrote:I know it will be loud in the racecar, but I'm hoping that the beep will be loud enough for them to hear something

At least in my ChumpCar/LeMons racers, the car has been way too loud to have a chance of hearing the piddly phone speakers, especially through helmet padding. I guess if you're in a car that still has its stereo you could have a chance though. My brother's team used to do one-way comms via a walkie-talkie plugged into the stock stereo system.
WifiLapperDev
Site Admin

Postby sbarton » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:28 pm

My TPMS has an audible alarm which is about the same volume as my droid and I can usually hear it (after a while).

Anyways, under racing conditions, you're not going to want to bombard the driver with useless messages or alerts on the phone. Therefore any messages or alerts/warnings are going to be important. ANYTHING you can do to help the driver notice the import message on the screen is going to be useful.

-Scott
sbarton

Return to Feature Requests/Development