Welcome
Welcome to wifilapper

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

App: New UI workflow/mockups

good idea/medium idea/not worth it idea

good idea
100%
medium idea
No votes
not worth it idea
No votes

Total votes : 1

App: New UI workflow/mockups

Postby EnduroRacer » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:29 am

This is a continuation of a thread from here:
app-phone-configuration-streamlining-t9.html#p91
EnduroRacer wrote:Here's a sneak peek of 1 version of the UI overhaul I've been working on:
http://i.imgur.com/DIMvv.png

WifiLapperDev wrote:That looks really good so far. One comment is that at some point the user has to select which SSID they want the phone to connect to, before it can start scanning for pitsides. In a world where wifilapper is really popular, there might be 3 different teams running routers at the same race (even though the ideal would be for them to share)

EnduroRacer wrote:
the user has to select which SSID they want the phone to connect to, before it can start scanning for pitsides....
there might be 3 different teams running routers at the same race

I'm not sure if you describing a User Interface preference, or a current limitation with WifiLapper at the code level.

The current behavior is to only display "Saved" Wifi Networks that are accessible from the phone. For me, this only is my own router. There are many other routers around me within range, but they are secured, so they don't show up in the WifiLapper list.

If it is a code limitation, can we change it so it automatically starts scanning the currently connected SSID on selecting "New Race" without the user having to select anything?

From an ease-of-use perspective, this would greatly simplify both the interface and the user experience

If no Pitside Servers are found on the current SSID, then the Manual IP/Change SSID Screen should come up. I'll add a "Change SSID" (Access Point, AP?) button in the Manual Pitside config Screen.

We should move this thread to a new topic, since it's getting mixed in with other features.

WifiLapperDev wrote:That'd be good. Myself, my brother, and my friends all use their normal phones with a dedicated router for wifilapper, so the phones often aren't defaulted to the racing router once they get to the track. It needs to be considered normal that wifilapper won't use the user's normal router.

That said, I think it'd be a fine assumption to make that the user might always use the same router at the track, so maybe the SSID selection could be moved to the options page, so they'd set it up once and forget about it.
Last edited by EnduroRacer on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
EnduroRacer

Re: App: New UI workflow/mockups

Postby EnduroRacer » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:30 am

WifiLapperDev wrote:Myself, my brother, and my friends all use their normal phones with a dedicated router for wifilapper, so the phones often aren't defaulted to the racing router once they get to the track.

This is kind of strange to hear. Shouldn't their phones automatically connect to the saved Wifi networks on their phone? If they have connected to the dedicated WifiLapper router even once, provided they are not within range of any other saved network, then the phone should connect to the dedicated WifiLapper router at the track without any user intervention.

I've tested it on my Droid1 with 2 routers, and that's how it works for me.
EnduroRacer

Re: App: New UI workflow/mockups

Postby WifiLapperDev » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:57 am

Whoops, posted this reply in the other thread. Here it is again:

Here's a couple use cases where the racing router won't be available at setup time, or won't automatically be chosen by the phone:
1) They also connect to the track wifi for actual internet access after the race, so the phones have two previously-connected wifi networks to choose from.
2) You might set the phone up before you get the router set up - you might be in a rush in the morning and not have the router set up until 1 hour into the race (this has happened), so you want the phone to know to still try and connect to it, even though its not available.
3) The racing router may be set up at start time, but it may be at a more-remote part of the track or have a directional antenna so that the phone can't talk to it while they're getting the car set up in the paddock.
4) WifiLapper should have a single targeted SSID to connect to. It'd suck if it picked up the track wifi first (or someone else's router) and wasted the whole time it could connect to yours because it was trying to communicate with the wrong one.
5) You might have tried to share a router with another team, but later figured out their router didn't work well with your phone, or their router got hit by a car or something.
WifiLapperDev
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests/Development